Thursday, May 06, 2010

Catching Crap

So, I have gotten a little flack lately from some of you (and from myself) about not posting anything in a long while. It has almost been 2 months! Where has the time gone? I am not really sure - I guess I have been working a lot and trying to keep busy when I am not working. And I am boring so I feel like I have nothing too exciting to post. Well ... that is not totally true. I have one thing.

So, let me start by saying that I have to go to Pittsburgh to help my boss train the crew there to do my job. To do this I have had to take about a million online trainings and I have to fill out a health questionnaire, get a TB test and a measles titer. Most of those things are easy to do ... but the stupid measles titer was a thorn in my side. I couldn't just get it from employee health, I had to go to my actual doctor to get a lab slip etc etc. The problem with that is I don't really like my old doctor (the one I went to about twice a couple years ago) so I had to find a new doctor just to get it done. So I went for a first time appointment last week so she could set me up with the lab slip. She was awesome. She asked if there was anything else that I wanted to talk about while I was there. I mentioned my lack of periods and she asked a few other questions and took some blood and determined that I have PCOS. This is what I study at work so I am not too shocked (I knew I had most of the symptoms). She prescribed me a few things (metformin to deal with the insulin insensitivity thing and an anti-androgen) that she thinks would help. This means I am on meds from now until eternity. Woo (note the sarcasm). The doctor assured me that many women who have PCOS can and do end up having children, but I know that there are people who can't. A lot. I know at least one friend whose blog I follow has infertility due to PCOS. A few girls I work with have the same issue. Not that I want kids right now since I am unmarried and not even dating, but, now that will always be in the back of my mind. Obviously it was there anyway - I knew I wasn't ovulating and if you don't ovulate then you can't conceive, but for some reason having an official diagnosis makes it more real. Bleargh.

On a lighter note - I got the stupid measles titer and found out that I am not immune to the measles! Or mumps or rubella. I did a little bit of searching online and found out that 95% of people who get the MMR shot one time end up being immune to all three things and 99% of people who get the MMR twice end up being immune. Guess how many times I got the stupid immunization when I was younger? That's right folks, twice. I am in that small 1% of people who don't become immune even after 2 freaking shots! I got the MMR again. Hopefully this time it takes!

I will try to be better about posting. Thanks for the kick in the butt!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh man! That completely sucks! I am going to give you hope though. I had a lot of roommates that had PCOS, and many of them have gone on to have perfectly normal pregnancies. Also, if you can't naturally, there is still in vitro. It's expensive, but it works. So, try not to stress too hard about that part.

Also, I have heard that just being on birth control helps a lot. It also does wonders for the skin! :)

Well, I hope that what the doctor prescribed helps.

Good luck!

Christy Wheeler said...

I am glad that you are back! It is good to hear from you. However I wish it were better news, sorry to hear you have PCOS. And hopefully you are immune to the measles now. 3rd time is the charm!
I hope you have a great day and I look forward o hearing more from you :)

Ree-ch said...

Love ya Mandi and love the new blog look, it fits you. I snatched it from Christy's and will keep up with you life through this, since we never see each other.
Norah is getting so big, she has hair now, almost enough to play with. :) I still have my long hair too...ooops